The son of British rock star Jim McCarty has been jailed for 30 years after posing as a charity worker to sexually abuse children as young as six. Simon Jasper McCarty, son of the Yardbirds drummer Jim, filmed himself abusing young children while pretending to be volunteering for their well being. Surrey-based McCarty - a musician like his father - is chairman of a charity which campaigns to protect street children in third world countries. (via Son of Yardbirds drummer Jim McCarty jailed for 30 years for sexually abusing children | Mail Online)
- McCarthy - who founded a company called Talking Drums - was travelling through Hilo airport, Hawaii, on August 5, 2008, when a screener discovered nude photographs of children inside his laptop case.
- He was detained on suspicion of ‘transporting child pornography’ - a specific U.S. offence - and his computer equipment seized and forensically examined to reveal the stash of indecent images.
- Officers at the UK Child Exploitation Online Protection centre traced one of his victims - a six-year-old boy - to the Kathmandu orphanage set up by McCarthy’s charity and an 11-year-old to an address in London.
- They contacted West Midlands Police when a Trust charity worker recognised a further 10-year-old victim as being a boy living in the region.
- Det Insp Wallace, said: ‘McCarthy used his charitable position to ingratiate himself into the boy’s family. He then shattered the family’s trust by abusing the victim. When the boy began realising the situation was abusive he refused to comply with McCarthy’s requests. McCarthy then disassociated himself from the family.
- ‘I’d like to praise the bravery of the young boy by revealing the abuse and confiding in our officers - his evidence was crucial in placing this sexual predator behind bars for most of his remaining life.’