A jury was told Karen Cosford, 47, had a sexual relationship with lifer Brian McBride and topped up his mobile phone for him. The court heard Cosford sent the serial rapist a catalogue of texts including telling him ‘you are my world’, ‘miss you so much’ and ‘can’t wait for you to get out’. (via Prison officers ‘stood guard while woman officer had sex with a dangerous rapist serving life in a high security jail’ | Mail Online)
“honey I know, I know, I know, guys are taken” Prince in Purple Rain
- The court heard that events unfolded when a search of McBride on September 25, 2009 found a mobile phone charger.
- Mr Wright said McBride was put in his cell and a thorough search of the wing carried out. In the kitchen a bag of sugar was found, in which there were mobile phone top-up documents, pieces of paper with mobile phone numbers on, a photograph of a nurse who was identified as Cosford, and an unsigned love letter.
- Four mobile phones were also found during the search.
- The jury heard that, during the search, McBride became agitated in his cell so a number of negotiators working in the Prison Service were called - and by chance one was Darrie Cosford, Karen Cosford’s husband.
- Mr Wright said it was during the negotiation that McBride hinted to Darrie Cosford that he had been having a relationship with his wife.
- The jury heard Karen Cosford called in sick to work the next day and over the weekend, and on September 28 reported to prison authorities that McBride had raped her.
- But Mr Wright told the court her stories were inconsistent during police interviews.
- Cosford told police he had forced her to write the love letter found in the bag of sugar and offered to pay her mortgage and buy her a flat.
- She also said that Flynn and Falloon had stood guard outside McBride’s cell while she performed a sex act on him.
- Cosford also claimed McBride had forced her to text him - a claim rejected by the prosecution, who read to the jury text messages sent by Cosford.
- One read: ‘I’m trying to ring, engaged. D [her husband] home soon, can’t believe how we get on sometimes especially this morn. We need to be really careful will try and ring later. Love and hugs me.’
- Another read: ‘Hope you still love and miss me like I do you. Can’t wait for you to get out. Want the first time to be so special me and you xx.’
- Another read: ‘You are my world now don’t let me down. Miss you so much. It’s been a difficult journey. You’re generous, sensitive when you want to be and dead sexy.’
- Mr Wright also alleged that Cosford warned McBride not to use his mobile phone because prison authorities were tracing calls - something he said she would not have done for someone who was allegedly raping and threatening her.
- The text message Cosford sent read: ‘Don’t use bone [phone] to ring anyone now… don’t know what information they have and on who.’