In a new survey of young people in 17 countries – 1,000 respondents per nation, mainly in their 20s and 30s – Canada ranked among the lowest on the planet when it came to frequency of fun. Canucks reported just 9.9 days per month in which they truly had a good time, ahead of only the French, Belgians, Russians and Poles, who claimed 9.7, 8.8, 6.7 and 5.3 fun days, respectively.
- Topping the list of pleasure-seeking nations was Argentina, at 14.8 days per month, followed by Mexico (13.7), Turkey (13), Spain (12.9) and Germany (12.1). Americans followed closely behind, at 11.7.
- “While all the Mexicans and Argentinians are out dancing in fountains, Canadians are tucked safely at home with a glass of warm milk,” said Peter Freedman, a spokesman for Badoo.com, which conducted the survey.
- Italy, the U.K., the Netherlands, Brazil, Switzerland and Thailand were also among the nations whose reported fun days topped those of Canada. Their average numbers spanned 10.2 to 11.6.
- “There’s an old joke that asks, ‘What do Canadians do for fun and excitement?’, to which the answer is, ‘Leave Canada,’” he said. “I always thought it was cruel slander but our study suggests there may be something to it.”
- The 17,000-person poll was fielded online among Badoo.com users in December 2012 and January 2013. No margin of error is stated.